- Plan & Book
- Offers & Promotion
- Travel Information
- Our Services
- Skyshop & Duty Free
- Frequent Flyer
- About Us
When traveling, it is worth taking extra measures to secure your baggage and valuables. Please refer to a few pointers below:
1. Hand-carry fragile or perishable items.
2. Hand-carry items of value, such as keys, artwork, cameras, money, jewelry, precious metals, silverware, medicines, drug, dangerous goods, commercial goods or samples, personal electronic devices and odd-sized articles, etc.
3. Hand-carry important documents, such as negotiable papers, securities, business documents, passports and other identification documents, etc.
4. Use good quality baggage that lasts longer and can withstand fair wear and tear resulting from the normal rigor of transportation by air and by baggage handling systems.
5. Pack your baggage properly and securely in suitable containers such as musical instruments in sturdy hard case, bicycles in strong and protective case, liquids and gels in plastic bags or water proof containers etc.
6. Do not over pack and overweigh your baggage.
7. Attach name tag(s) or card on the outside and inside of your baggage.
8. Attach unique stickers, tape, or labels on your baggage to ease identification and avoid collection errors on arrival.
9. Remove old destination tag.
10. Ensure your baggage does not contain any dangerous goods. Please refer to our prohibited items for more information.
11. Ensure your baggage is securely closed and locked where possible.
12. Remove straps and protruding objects from your baggage before checking it in.
Passengers are entitled to a free baggage allowance which varies on class or travel. Excess baggage charge will be based on weight and piece system.
Free Checked Baggage Allowance
For all routes :
1 The maximum weight and dimensions of any single piece of checked baggage should not be over 32kg (70lbs) and 158cm/62" (Length + Width + Height) respectively. Overweight items (Exception: mobility aids, medical equipment, sporting equipment) will be repacked or split into lighter units during check-in otherwise will not be accepted for carriage.
2 Infant refers to a passenger under 2 years old who does not occupy a seat.
Partly Business class and partly Economy class travel
For all routes:
1 or equivalent amount in local currency calculated by IATA IROE (follow the corresponding rounding unit requirement).
Sporting equipments, pets, mobility aids
Sporting Equipment is subject to the applicable standard excess baggage charges if in excess of your standard free baggage allowance.
Travelling wiht Pets
Except service dogs, only flight departed from Hong Kong accepts pet or animal of any description (domestic dogs and cats only) as checked baggage** only, both are not permitted in our passenger cabin. Passengers travelling with pets are responsible for providing all document required by local government officers (i.e. health certificate and travel permits for the pets). For Hong Kong regulatory information regarding live animal transition, please refer to Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department. For import/export/transit regulations of a particular country, please refer to IATA Travel Centre (Choose your destination from the dropdown list under Customs, Currency& Airport information Section). and IATA Traveller's Pets Corner.
Unaccompanied pets or pets not accepable as check-in baggage must be shipped through cargo. For more details, please contact our Cargo Sales Offices.
**Passenger's free baggage allowance will not apply to pets carried as check-in baggage and charges would be levied for all pets when accepted as checked baggage.
Preparations for Travelling With Your Pets
2.Total weight of the pet and its container
3.Dimentions of the container
4.Material and make of the pet container, e.g. solid fibreglass, rigid plastic or metal with strong weld metal mesh which has sufficient ventilation pores etc.
5.Valid health and vaccination certificates, entry permits and other documents required by Country of entry or transit (please check IATA Travel Centre under Customs, Currency & Airport information Section for reference)
Mobility Aids like wheelchair that are carried by the passenger can be accepted without charge as in addition to the baggage allowance.
Musical instruments carried as cabin or checked baggage must be kept inside a sturdy round-edged hard case which can protect the instruments from impact. We will not provide any hard cases while musical instruments with soft cases are not accepted on board.
Each piece of musical instrument, including the hard case, with size of not more than 45 inches (Length+ Width + Height) and weight of not more than 7 kgs (15lbs) can be carried on board and stowed inside the overhead locker. The instrument is considered part of your cabin baggage allowance.
For musical instruments, including the hard cases, which exceed either the above size and weight limits or the cabin baggage allowance, they must be checked in and considered as checked baggage.
Regarding seat purchases for musical instruments or other baggage items, please contact our Customer Services Department or travel agents to reserve the tickets at least 3 working days prior to the scheduled departure date in consideration of sufficient notice period for special arrangement. Meanwhile, passengers are charged for the number of seats they and their baggage occupy. Please do not reserve your tickets for your baggage through our online booking service.
The above-mentioned baggage items are accepted in the cabin only when passengers have obtained our permission after giving us prior notice with actual size and weight of the baggage.
Size and weight limits of baggage at an extra seat:
1. Musical instrument, including the hard case, should be of size not more than 80 inches (Length + Width + Height) and weight not more than 35 kgs (70 lbs)
2. Total baggage weight per seat should not exceed 50 kgs (100 lbs)
For Baggage Allowance and Extra Baggage Charges for Codeshare flight
When travelling on a codeshare flight operated by our codeshare partner, the operating carrier's baggage policy applies. For details, please visit the operating carrier's website.
For Baggage Allowance and Extra Baggage Charges for multi-sector journey involving various airlines
For interline connection involving two or more airlines, the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) i.e. the carrier providing the long haul journey or longest mileage will dominate the free checked baggage allowance for the entire journey.
When stopover(s) is /are made, the free checked baggage allowance of individual carriers will apply for their respective sectors.
If you have a connecting flight with another airline, you maybe able to request check-in directly through to your final destination airport if Hong Kong Airlines has an interline agreement with the other airline. Your flights must also be on the same ticket, or are issued in conjunction with each other. You may check with the airlines of your different sectors for more details.
*This is applied for Hong Kong Airport